Sunday, August 22, 2010

What difference do it make?

I have discussed the sequel to Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall, Denver Moore, and Lynn Vincent in the past few posts.  What difference do it make? had some of it all.  It provoked me (to anger, sometimes), it inspired me, and it educated me as to how many of us with a compelling desire to help those less fortunate sometimes just spin our wheels because we do it "our" way instead of "their" way.

This book is not nearly as captivating as Same Kind of Different as Me.  However, that does not mean that it is any less effective.  It is simply different.  The first book is the story.  The second book is the world's reactions to that story.  It challenges us to act upon their challenge and make a difference.

Although not as mesmerizing as the first, I would still definitely recommend What difference do it make?  There are passages that will ring in my ears and that I will re-visit for a long time to come.  It's not enough to be stirred and filled with overwhelming good intentions, we must act upon them if we are going to make a difference.

When I die, I want the world to be a better place because I lived.

2 comments:

  1. Just a little FYI--we just purchased copies for our entire Matthew 25 team and pastoral team of both books...we are distributing them and meeting in a couple of weeks to discuss them and their potential impact upon members of our congregation who are aware or becoming aware of the church's role in ministering to the needy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordered both the other day after reading your post. Hope to get my boys to read them as well...

    ReplyDelete