Monday, December 12, 2011

day 19 - be not weary

I have borne two children. Although they are now 21 and 15, the passing of the years has not diminished the memory of those experiences.

I was not the expectant mom with the "glow." At least, not the glow you expect. My glow had a greenish tint to it for about nine months per child. . .

I remember the perpetual sickness. I remember the fainting spells. I remember the hypoglycemia issues, the blood pressure issues, the heart monitors.

But more than any of that, I remember the fatigue. That mind-numbing, almost paralyzing bone-tired feeling. Counting the days until the baby would be delivered. And then, coming to grips with the fact that the baby HAD been delivered and there wasn't a due date on when I would ever get a full night's rest again!

If I live to be 100, I don't think I will ever forget the weariness of those times.

I cannot even fathom adding a journey of 100 miles on the back of a donkey to that. Only to find there was no shelter, no lodging, no relief for the pain, no respite for the weariness.

The natural progression of life dictates that couples go through those seasons while their bodies are young enough to withstand the onslaught of the physical assault and still be able to recover. But, I have not found that to hold true in the spiritual realm.

The seasons of life seem to come with amazing regularity, regardless of our age. And, the older we get, the harder these Birth Seasons seem to get.

Maybe you can relate to me. Maybe you are in a Birth Season as well. Maybe you are experiencing the discomfort of everything around you and inside you shifting and changing. Maybe you are also feeling the nauseating sensation of life coming at you fast and furious and in a totally unfamiliar way. Maybe you are as unsure as I am of what new challenges tomorrow will bring--or maybe even this afternoon.

And maybe you are just mind-numbingly, tired-to-the-bone, weary of it all. Past the point of functioning or trying or caring.

May I speak to your spirit this morning?

Please don't stop.

Don't give up. Don't quit now. Don't lose your burden, your vision, your want-to.

Formation is never easy, birth is never pain-free.

You are carrying somebody's salvation.

It matters.

And let us not be weary in well doing: 
for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
~Galatians 6:9

© 2009-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment