Wednesday, January 11, 2012

was he hiding behind the door?

I don't often cross-post from my other blogs, but in this case I have to make an exception. I also posted this on eatthisbooklogos.blogspot.com. But I feel so strongly about it, until I will post it here, also.


My friend, Pam, forwarded this to me this morning. It is from Mark Batterson's 21-day Prayer Challenge based on his book about prayer, The Circle Maker.

I think he has been hiding behind my door, because these are the exact words I have been using to expound on the relationship between prayer and the Word!

Soak this in:

     The Bible wasn't meant to be read. It was meant to be prayedReading without praying is like eating without digesting. The nutrients aren't absorbed the way they should be. The way you get the word into your heart, into your spirit is by praying it. Let me give you an example. This morning I was reading about "the circumcision of the heart" in Romans 2:29. The Holy Spirit stopped me in my tracks. I knew I needed to stop reading and start praying. I spent the next several minutes having a heart-to-heart with my Heavenly Father about some of my heart issues.

     The spiritual disciplines are more interrelated than what we realize.  I used to think of reading Scripture and prayer as very different endeavors. In fact, I felt bad because it was easier for me to read Scripture than to pray. Then I read something from the Talmud that set me free. The Jewish Rabbis said, "An hour of study is as an hour of prayer." That's when I realized that reading Scripture can be a form of prayer, a part of prayer.  Many people don't know where to begin when it comes to prayer.  What do I say first? Here's my advice: start with Scripture. Start reading and you'll eventually come to something you need to talk with God about. Prayer isn't a monologue where we outline our agenda for God. Prayer is a dialogue. Scripture is the way God speaks to us. Prayer is a way we respond to it. And when you pray the word you can pray with holy confidence because God's word does not return void.

     Pray the Word!


© 2009-2012 by Melani Brady Shock

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sister Shock! I listened to your message from BOTT this morning.....I loved it! I will listen to it again and again. Most of what you said has been on my heart recently so it was wonderful to hear you speak. I am determined to 'digest' His Word more and more this year. Did you know 2012 in Australia is the National Year Of Reading???? I am so looking forward to your visit this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment and kind words. Looking forward to Australia!
    mbs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting ready to teach Eat This Book to our church. I am so overwhelmed with the truth and deep meat in the study. I only pray I can convey it to others with the passion that I feel.

    ReplyDelete